Market Shifts

SEC to cease all no-action request responses

By Natalia Vargas · · 3 min read
SEC to cease all no-action request responses - sec no-action
SEC to cease all no-action request responses

The SEC announced Friday that it will stop responding to no-action requests “entirely … effective immediately,” a shift that ends a practice that has persisted for decades.

The Division of Corporation Finance said it will no longer send letters indicating it will not object if a company omits a shareholder proposal from its proxy materials. Companies must still file the required notice under Rule 14a-8 when they intend to exclude proposals, the agency noted.

In parallel, the Division of Investment Management, which handles similar requests for investment companies, will adopt “a substantially similar approach.” The agency said the move allows staff to focus on reviewing filings under the Securities Exchange Act and on the large guidance already available for Rule 14a-8.

Investor advocates have already sued, claiming the abrupt policy change violates the Administrative Procedure Act. The lawsuits stem from the decision to sit out the bulk of the no‑action process during the 2025‑26 proxy season.

SEC Chair Paul Atkins previously suggested a hands‑off stance would not create chaos. In a July speech at a corporate‑governance conference, he said the staff’s absence “did not create the chaos that many feared,” and that the “greatest takeaway is that the Commission staff’s interposition between companies and shareholder proponents is unnecessary to effectively and efficiently resolve whether shareholder proposals should be included in proxy statements.”

Related: Trump Media CFO sells shares after losses

Atkins also noted that six lawsuits had arisen from the change, but characterized them as a small portion of excluded proposals.

Steven Rothstein, chief program officer for sustainability nonprofit Ceres, warned that the shift “will hurt both investors and issuers” of shareholder proposals. He called the SEC’s move “an abdication of its longstanding role as impartial arbiter of shareholder proposals,” arguing it could damage the usual management‑shareholder dialogue.

The agency’s latest federal regulatory agenda signals plans to propose amendments to the shareholder‑proposal rule by October. Atkins said the SEC is conducting an overall evaluation of the rule itself, indicating broader reforms may be on the horizon.

Last month, a group of investor advocates filed a regulatory petition with the agency asking for the SEC to “largely retain” Rule 14a-8 in any amendments and suggesting alternative fixes to the process.

While the SEC’s statement cites 1976 procedures that historically allowed staff to offer informal advice without obligating further action, the current policy removes even that informal channel. The agency argues the full body of guidance already available makes the change redundant.

Related: Vista CFO Favors Jet Subscription Pricing

For newcomers, the shift matters because it alters how companies and shareholders negotiate the inclusion of proposals that can affect corporate strategy, climate risk, or executive compensation. Without a formal response from the SEC, the burden of resolving disputes may fall more heavily on the parties themselves, potentially slowing the pace at which contentious issues reach a vote.

The change could lead to more litigation, as shareholders may feel compelled to challenge exclusions in court rather than rely on an administrative shortcut.

The shift changes filing timelines.

Investors will need to adjust their strategies accordingly.

As the SEC prepares its October rule amendment proposal, stakeholders will watch closely to see whether the agency will restore any of the lost procedural safeguards or double down on a leaner, more self‑regulating framework.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.